Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Teena is BACK!

After more than 30 years in the game, Ms. Teena Marie is BACK! I am pleased to say that I got to hang out at R&B Live with the one and only, Teena Marie!

When I arrived at Cinespace I quickly ran upstairs hoping to get a good seat. Well, I didn't run, but I walked damn fast. To my amazement the same venue that was scarcely filled last week when Kenny Lattimore performed was packed to capacity. I walked through the club and quickly ran into my friend Comedienne/Actress Kym Whitley. I noticably heard the sounds of Teena coming thru the loud speakers. Her new album, 'Congo Square' was playing and it was FIRE! And that's when I heard my favorite singer Faith Evans belt out melodies to their duet "Can't Last a Day." Not only was Teena bringing her own fire, she brought out another real singer!

Then we endured the warm up acts or as some would have called, bad karaoke performers while they did their thing. It was then time for the woman we all came to see to hit the stage and do what she does best, peform! Listening to Teena was like drinking fresh clean water! She hit every note, and moved about the stage with the presence I seen years ago on Soul Train. I went out and immediately bought the CD and I highly recommend that everyone pick up a copy so we can continue supporting real music! We love you Teena!

2 comments:

Jaye said...

I'm lovin' that Teena's back - I'm pretty out of touch these days (kids etc!) so it was great to hear my fave radio station (Jazzfm) suddenly introduce me back to her, after being such a fan 'back in the day!'

Don't know if you're on Twitter but she's there as Ms_TeenaMarie :)

Unknown said...

My mom was telling me about some new song of hers that she loved and I was like she got a new album!? I try and stay up on her, cuz she a real artist...she make and produce most of her own tracks. She'll be making music forever...now I gotta look up the name of this song, cuz my mom can never remember a name to a song..s.a.d