Wednesday, July 1, 2009

2009 BET Awards!!!

The 2009 BET awards and Michael Jackson tribute occurred this past weekend in LA at the famous Shrine Auditorium. This year I had good seats right where I can watch the entire show. While I've read so many updates about the awards - how bad they were, how they didn't pay homage to Michael Jackson, how bad Beyonce's performance was, etc I have to say the energy in the room was all love.

The awards hosted by Jamie Foxx had everyone and I mean everyone from Beyonce, Jay Z, Tyra Banks, Lil Wayne, Drake, and Puffy to Lebron James, the O'Jays, Ray J, and Snoop in the house. I'll post a couple observations that you did NOT see at home:

1. During Don Cornelius' long, boring, dry, and senial speech, actress/comedienne Jennifer Lewis made gestures of killing herself. While outsiders would say it was tacky, those who know Jennifer know that's just her. I must say Jennifer, I too wanted to do the same!

2. Drake sat in the chair throughout his performance because he recently tore his ACL. He did not go up on stage when Wayne won because he could barely walk without his cane. Although he wasn't as flashy as Weezy, he was the most popular person in the room, and he took a pic with Beyonce that I MUST get a copy of!

3. When Beyonce came out to perform, drag queen Keri Hilson sat in her chair when everyone else got up. Hmm, Beyonce did win Female Artist of the year right? RIGHT.

I have to be honest and say that BET did a phenomenal job pulling together a show within 2 days of Michael's passing. While I do agree that Jamie Foxx and NeYo sang way too much, I'm sure it was because they needed to fill time. I wanted more like a 'We are the World' tribute, or Madonna to come out, but I realized something. Nothing they could have done would have been enough. I did believe the peformances with 90's groups, the tribute to the O'Jay's by Tyrese, Trey Songz, and Johnny Gill was off the chain. That said, they better not create another LSG!

And did you see Monica's return??!! Banana's right! First and foremost, big ups to Keyshia Cole for being humble enough to allow Monica a forum to deliver such a hot performance. I'm just hoping that Monica drops an album soon before everyone forgets!

Lastly, everyone has had something to say about Beyonce's performance. Let's get this clear, BET is getting better and better every year. Beyonce's performace of Ava Maria is a song and performance she is currently doing on tour. Not only did she sound amazing, but she sung the end in French! I say, upgrade your swag and overcome the desire to see Beyonce in drag every time she performs because she was perfect!

That said, I've posted some pictures of people on the red carpet! Enjoy



Here are some pictures I took on the red carpet using my iPhone!

No comments: